Wednesday, November 12, 2008

"Swiftly" check this out...



K, I know that was a bad joke. At least you'll think so after you read the post.
I've never been a Taylor Swift fan, I kind of like a couple of her songs, but for the most part she just seems like another stuck up, badly written lyricist, pretty little pop star. At least that's what I thought.
**In case you don't know who she is, she's a young (like 16) country star that is up and rising**
This morning there was an interview with Taylor Swift at the CMA's I didn't know who it was they were interviewing until the end of it, but this is what I heard (I've summarized some of it):

Interviewer: "So, I have an 11 year old daughter and she is such a big fan of yours. Her and all of her friends. What would you say to those young girls of say...10, 11, and 12? What is the one thing you would say, or one bit of advice you'd give them?"

Taylor: "I'd just tell them to have a quiet confidence about themselves. They don't need to go bragging to their girl friends that they're going to do this or that, or try to show off any of their talents. That you just need to have confidence in yourself and know it for yourself without telling everyone. That will take you so much farther than anything else."

Quiet Confidence. I just love that.
Our YW's lesson on Sunday was about "Loving Yourself and Others" and we all kept emphasising the fact that you should love yourself, but I didn't want them to start thinking that it was okay to get prideful or cocky, but I wasn't sure how to put it in the right terms. I think Taylor Swift (of all people) got it right. Have a quiet confidence. Now I like her so much more. Before I was trying to figure out what kind of person she was and thinking that she was just another Hannah Montana and getting way too much attention, but now I think she's all right. :)

1 comment:

Andrea said...

I am NOT a fan of these teen girls getting famous way too young and wrecking their lives in the process (Lindsey Lohan, Britney Spears, etc.), I don't let my kids watch Hanna Montana or even High School Musical because of how they act when they're not working... thank goodness I never had to explain already why JamieLynn Spears is already a mommy! But Taylor Swift has always seemed a bit more grounded than the others and atleast she attempts to write her own music and play the guitars when some of the others are just singing with a ton of help to make it sound okay. I find it refreshing that she sends a deep message to these girls that even some women could learn from....smart girl....like you:)