Wednesday, July 7, 2010

I don't wanna grow up...

Let me guess what just came in your head... "I'm a Toys R Us kid!" 
Am I right?

Well, guess what? I'm still a Toys R Us kid!
I think I've gotten a little lost in this grown-up world. Trying to figure out who I'm supposed to be.

I'm supposed to like certain kinds of elegant decor. 
I'm supposed to act like a very grown-up, put-together Mother.
I'm supposed to put away my funky, fun clothes and buy cardigans and slacks.

No one really says these things, but they're implied. In blogs, magazines, shows, even church and grocery stores sometimes. I'm not saying cardigans and slacks are a bad thing, I like them too. 
But when is it that we put away our childish ruffles, and colorful pictures?
Why can't we dance all day if we want to? Sing and climb trees? 

Of course we can! And I'm going to!

If you've known me for quite a while, you know that I used to be crazy and spontaneous.
 I've been a little less lately...but no longer. I'm getting my "Muchness" back. (see the new Alice in Wonderland for reference)

"Never lose your childish innocence. It's the most important thing. "
-Under the Tuscan Sun (great movie!)
This was always one of my favorite quotes to live by.

I realized that I'd lost my childish enthusiasm/innocence at some point in the last few years. 
This wonderful, colorful blog helped inspire me to get it back!


Katie is a freelance photographer in Brooklyn. And she is insanely creative!
Check out her pictures in her blog. Everything is so colorful.

I've been in this rut about our apartment we live in 'cause I don't know how I want to decorate it. It doesn't really feel like a complete home. It's more like storage with a few pictures up. I've been stuck on mostly black/brown furniture 'cause it goes with a lot...well, that was my theory. And it's grow-up colors. But I think it gets boring in our home. 
Then I found Katie's blog, and looking at her apartment it's so full of life and color! If you've taken a look... can you just imagine growing up in a place like that? How magical it would be??

When I saw it, I immediately thought "That's exactly what I want to do!"
And maybe some of you reading this are thinking I'm crazy for loving it, but that's ok. I'm just so glad that I found it!

And next time you come to my apartment it will be lit up with color!
(don't worry, I'll be posting pictures)

 And I've been inspired to take more pictures too. And wear more color ;)



For a long time I thought that I shouldn't want to be in lots of pictures, or ask people to take them of me, 'cause they'd think I was being vain or something. But Katie takes a lot of pictures of herself for fun, and it's not vain at ALL! So, I figure it's okay if I take them of myself to :)
And I like her concept of using pictures to portray how she feels.

So, from one kid to another...don't grow up. Not all the way. ;)

And thanks Katie! You've been an incredible creative inspiration, more than you could know.

***

Also, if you wanna know more about the green shrug I'm wearing in that picture above. Just go to Crafty-Mamacita.



4 comments:

the mapmaker's wife said...

Actually no... I thought of Peter Pan. :) Also I then went on to spend a while on that Katie girl's blog.

Morgan said...

I don't want to grow up either- and you know what... the best part about life is being an adult so you can do adult things ie: drive all other things, but the other great thing is being married to someone who has such enthusiasm!

I won't grow up either and YES I shall put more colorful things in my apt. Can't wait to see your pics! And btw- I don't think you're vain for taking pictures of yourself- it's your blog, naturally you should be in it. :D

Anonymous said...

Yea! You have figured out the secret to a happy life. I don't believe in "growing up" and getting too serious about things. I've been there, done that, and it was not any type of life I want...

Missy said...

Crystal, you are my favorite! Rowan is so lucky to have a mom like you because she will always have an awesome playmate. I love your attitude about life and your inspirational feelings are so cool...I know I will never grow up...so I'm excited to have a cousin who is in the same boat!
Love ya!