Friday, November 7, 2008

Can ya take it?

After our Halloween Carnival Ben and I and two of our friends in the ward all watched "Signs". It's a scary movie that I've already seen, and it ends well so that I can still sleep at night, so I thought I'd be just fine. Well, I was better than with any other scary movie, but I did make a big discovery. I'm afraid of the music. I was taking the movie just fine, and even when it got intense I knew exactly what was going to come on the screen, but with my eyes covered I knew that when I heard the music intensify that the picture in my mind of what was happening on the screen was coming true. Then I remembered something I learned at EFY (@ SUU). In one of our classes our teacher talked about how music effects (perhaps affects) us. He showed a clip from Jurassic Park, where the kids are hiding from the raptors in the kitchen. Of course the music got scary and intensified at the scary parts, and we could all feel the mood in the room had changed somewhat. Then he played the same scene but with a funny old, cheesy song. I think it was My Little Buttercup, and it was hilarious!!! Everyone was cracking up watching these raptors trying to be scary while something like, be my darling, was playing in the background. Music makes a mood, it can also help make certain thoughts. That's why we have to be careful to what we're listening to, some stuff can really get into your head.

What's funny is that after the movie was over everyone was kinda like "Yeah, I don't really like scary movies." It's just not my thing to be creeped out. Then I have that image of the alien hunched over, everytime I turn the light off. I know it's just a movie, but as I heard once, which I also believe, is that artist's have intensified (sorry I keep using that word) imagination and emotion. When it comes to sympathy or empathy it can be really very helpful, but it's also a curse. I can imagine things so clearly sometimes that I can get my mind to really think it's real and get my blood pumping. So, from now on I'm not going ot waste my time with scary movies. I like when I feel safe in the dark. ; )

~Crystal

1 comment:

Andrea said...

I also like to feel safe in the dark that's why I usually don't mind watching things I know can't happen. But the ones that are too real, like stalkers and serial killers freak me out...and then I really hate the few windows I have with no window coverings ;}