Saturday, October 31, 2009

Crying Babies

Does anyone else go into a panic when their child starts to scream in the middle of a public place? Or a party? Or any group of people? It's funny 'cause when we're at home I can pick her up and she'll generally stop crying, but when we're out and about...nothing will stop her. Of course I try to act calm, but inside I'm thinking "PLEASE, PLEASE STOP CRYING!" or "What's the fastest way out of this place?"
Of course if she cries at home, well no big deal, but when I have to subject others to it I feel aweful! I know, I know...it's a phase, it's a part of motherhood, and I have to just deal with it. But that doesn't mean that I'm gonna like it. It really puts me out of sorts to have her loose it like that in front of others, then I feel like I don't wanna go grocery shopping, or to the craft store, walmart, etc.
What's funny is that there really isn't anything in life that causes me to panic or freak out 'cause it's all within my control. At least my reaction and presence are in my control, so whatever happens to me doesn't matter because I can react cooly everytime since it's MY decision. Here's the problem: Her crying and actions are not my decision, they're hers. And since she is my responsibility it's like others look at me like it is my decision. Oops, sorry, have you ever had children? ... No? Well, it's like this. No control.
Don't get me wrong... please don't think I'm complaining! I sincerely and dearly love this little girl and would do everything and anything for her wellbeing. She is one of the two best blessings of my life, and she is just perfect! Except for screaming in public places.
So, I guess this is a confession. Yes, I do get flustered sometimes, and yes I do go into a panic mode sometimes...and those sometimes are when my little girl looses her cool in front of others. So if I ever act strange or flustered when the little cutie decideds it's time to let it all out...well, that's why. Oh, and I also feel terrible when she freaks out and someone else is holding her. Not because I'm possesive at all, I really want her to be used to having lots of friends and family hold her, but because I feel like they've been burdened with listening to her scream or maybe they're holding her out of kindness, but really they want to put her down...something like that. So, all in all...just ignore me if I start to act weird because the little darling has just had it for the day. Thanks!

2 comments:

Molly said...

I don't know what to tell you. Nixon is sometimes like that at church. and apparently if we take him to the ER he will scream non stop. I think with church though its cause its right durning his nap time and we are not letting him run around like he thinks we should. Good luck with her though! It will get better, all kids go through stages. Sometimes I think Nixon does things just cause he figured out he could.

Brittany said...

I am with you there. Ty has never had an all-out screaming fest. But lately he has not enjoyed the grocery store and is always fussing by the end. You feel like everyone is staring at you and wondering why you can't get control of your kid. Now I definitely hesitate to take him out and have to make sure he has just gotten up from a nap AND eaten so he will hopefully be on good behavior.