Saturday, January 23, 2010

My First Fabric Flower



Confession: I've been stealing accessories from my 4 month old baby.
Hey, I'm sure I'm not the only one! It's quite the temptation, their stuff is so cute! Well, some of her clips and things I've been wearing myself. I guess 'closet sharing' starts quite earlier between Mothers and Daughters than I thought. Anyway, so I decided to make my very first fabric flower
for 'us' to wear ;)
(I'm a very visual person, so sorry for all the pictures.)



I started with some light blue lining that I had from ages ago.
And a silver button that I recently bought.
First I cut off a test piece and tested the burn method on it to make
sure that it would work properly...and it did :)



Then I cut out 6 circles...not perfect circles, but they don't have to be 'cause the burn method will alter them anyway, and it gives them character, right?
I believe the sizes were:
1- 4"; 2- 3 1/2"; 1- 2 3/4"; 1- 1 1/2"; 1- 1"
(in diameter)



Then I took the lighter (or I've seen people use a candle), and held it close to the edges all the way around the circle. Just close enough for it to melt and curl up just barely,
but not enough for it to catch on fire.



Then stack the 'pedals', and I adjusted them how I wanted them.
Just right so every piece could be seen well.



Then I added the button on top. And stitched it through all the layers.



Then I stitched on a pin piece, or whatever you call 'em.
Usually I think people add a piece of felt to the bottom to reinforce it,
but I didn't have any and couldn't go to the store, so this works for now. :)



Tada! A cute flower for Little Angel's headband.



Or for a pin on a shirt, or a necklace!



Love it! And yes, I will share. ;)

10 comments:

Amy@TheLemonCottage said...

It looks perfect!

I love making them. I couldn't believe the first time I saw a tutorial with the burning! Love it.
~Amy

Arizona Girl said...

My sister is always putting flowers that she makes in my niece's hair and in her hair. She just started a website to sell the ones she makes, its www.simplymemzelle.com, maybe it could give you some ideas.

Brittany said...

So cute! Hope I one day have someone to share accessories with!

kayla said...

It in Phoenix on 14 W Camelback Road. You can google it and find it easily.

Jennifer Juniper said...

I've had such a huge response from my tutorial on this! It's such a fun project!

Wendi and Matt said...

Good job!!! I love making stuff, it just makes you feel so accomplished :)

Niesz Vintage Home said...

That turned out so pretty!
I've never tried the burning of the edges. Nice effect!

Kimberly

Heidi said...

very cute! thanks for stopping by, no way did I make that blanket! I WISH! It's pottery barn, and I've always been "anti" pb prices, but now I know why they are so $$$, that blanket is so darn lush and plush and snuggly! :)

Anonymous said...

It turned out just beautiful! I love that it is so versatile. :)

inadvertent farmer said...

This is great! You little one is darling too, Kim